It can be really triggering to think we have a living creature (besides our beneficial microbiome bacteria in our guts, skin, and vaginas) inside of our body, living and feeding off of our nutrients.
It’s infuriating to think that we are loading up at our favorite, pricey health food store on organic, fermented, nutrient-dense goodies — while meanwhile, monsters inside our digestive tract are reaping the benefits. Not to mention, a parasitic infection can disrupt proper absorption, causing digestive problems that range from diarrhea to constipation, and other imbalances that throw off our skin, sleep, hormones, and more.
The truth of the matter is, nearly all humans will have some sort of parasitic infection in their lives — and probably more than once. More than twice. Heck … We can get them any time, anywhere, from any food. And that is not meant to freak you out, so before you start tossing perfectly fine groceries into the garbage, hear us out.
Parasites are a natural part of life. They can even be in those expensive groceries from your favorite market — they aren’t always picked up in a third world country or eating foreign foods in foreign lands (though yes, that absolutely, definitely happens).
It can be a challenge to know if you have a parasitic infection without visiting a doctor and getting a stool test. However, some common symptoms include stomach cramps and pain, nausea or vomiting, dehydration, swollen lymph nodes, and other digestive problems including unexplained constipation, diarrhea or persistent gas. They can even cause skin issues, such as rashes, eczema, hives, and itching. Other signs can include fatigue (even when you get enough sleep), never feeling full (even after a big meal), iron deficiency, grinding your teeth during sleep, recurrent yeast infections, and more
Of course, there are other explanations for these symptoms individually — but if many of these symptoms persist, it’s vital to seek professional treatment as soon as possible. If you are wary of just a few of these symptoms and aren’t debilitated by them, it may be worth exploring some at-home treatment options to see if it’s a mild parasitic infection that can be treated with a DIY parasitic cleanse. Cue: diatomaceous clay, or earth.
We get it; it’s a mouthful. But we’ll break it down for you. In short, diatomaceous earth is a powder made from the sediment of fossilized shells and algae found in bodies of water. It’s extremely fine and is easily consumed when mixed into water. It isn’t digested, per se, but it does pass through the human digestive system with ease. In the process, these tiny powder particles — microscopic for our bodies — are actually jagged little shards that, when consumed by parasites in our digestive tract, shred the little buggers straight to hell.
In other words, this earth becomes a booby trap for parasites. It’s mixed with our digestive matter, which parasites feed on. They eat it, and the shrapnel of these fossilized pieces destroy these tiny creatures from the inside out, leaving just their shredded carcasses (horrifying, we know) dead and easily passed with our next trip to the bathroom. Good riddance *flush.*
It also works by drying out their waxy coating and exoskeleton, causing parasites to dehydrate and be left unprotected from components of the human body. With this solution, they cry out, die, and become easily digested. But it’s also true for household pests when sprinkled around the perimeters of your house.
It’s important that we purchase food-grade diatomaceous earth — and avoid the farm grade option meant for livestock, which is not only larger in particle size, but also less pure and clean. People use this grade to deworm their animals, or sprinkle along doorsteps and windowsills to keep summer bugs like ants and mites away — we definitely don’t want to be eating this kind. Hopefully, obviously.
The food grade diatomaceous earth is inexpensive for a large bag, and has a mildly chalky flavor. It doesn’t dissolve fully in water, so mix thoroughly and consume quickly to get it down the hatch. It’s best consumed 30-60 minutes before eating, twice a day — we like it first thing in the morning, and again before bedtime.
It is recommended that this is done for 10 consecutive days in order to purge all traces of annoying parasites in this DIY parasitic cleanse. If symptoms persist, try taking a week off and starting another round of 10 days. Nutritionally, it will not add calories or disrupt anything in terms of diet — however, these fossilized bits may contain a little zinc and silica, which are great beauty minerals and are often depleted when we suffer from parasites.
We recommend trying this cleanse 1-2 times a year to clear out the digestive tract. What have we got to lose? Besides parasites, of course.